ABOUT THE CLUB
Located in the vicinity of Chinnor Village on the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire border, the Chinnor Rifle and Pistol Club is a family friendly, competitive shooting club with over a hundred years of history. The club boasts its own 25 yard indoor range with turning and static targets and 20 yard and 10m air pistol targets. The club shoots on most weekday evenings and participates in interclub, county and national competitions with a high degree of success. The club is also affiliated with the National Small-bore Rifle Association, the National Rifle Association and the Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain Our club members shoot regularly at the Bisley range at 100, 200, 300, 600 and 1000 yards, as well as Butt Zero.
We are a members only club run by a volunteer committee. Members volunteer their time to officiate the range, train new members, organise events and maintain the range to make the club the success it is.
If you are interested in becoming a member, please click here to send us an enquiry and we will be in contact with you in the not too distant future.
For those wishing to join who already hold an FAC, our range limits are :
Maximum Velocity 1750 FPS
Muzzle Energy 475 ft/lbs
Maximum Calibre .45”
A BRIEF HISTORY...
The events in the Boer War had led to increasing concerns of the capability of the Army to defend the population against invasion. The call went out for the populace to learn to shoot to defend their country and in due course, civilian small-bore shooting clubs were formed.
The Chinnor Rifle and Pistol Club first gained its official charter on the 1st of May 1907. Little background information remains, but it is understood that the rifle range started out life at the back of the Vicarage and then moved on Chinnor Hill. It was situated just off the main road on the hillside behind the cement works. All that stands there today is an old stone archway on the roadside where once the steps led down the hill.
The range then moved to Rectory Meadow and shooting took place between two open barns.
In 1937 records show a new enclosed range had been established in Station Road, where a line of houses stand today. The building itself was timber framed and sheeted with galvanised iron, painted green, then boarded out and heated with a pot-bellied stove. Ted Newitt used to keep the club rifles at his home and bring them to the club on shooting nights.
When the Second World War came to an end, the land owner on which the range was sited (who was the club secretary at the time) had a parting of the ways with the club and the range had to be moved to its present position, on land donated by Mr N Benton, also the owner of the cement works.
In 1972 a new range and clubroom was built to replace the old building, which included heating and soundproofing. The range was also redesigned to enable pistol and revolvers to be shot as well as .22 small-bore rifles.